Freemind Mindmapping Software
Freemind is free-to-download software available through the internet. To download a copy, go to:
The main uses of mindmapping software include:
- Planning your thoughts and ideas, for example for assignments
- Giving structure to your ideas
- Using colour and other coding to group information
- Note taking and recording information.
For example, below is a very simple starting point, created in Freemind.
To create a new mindmap:
- Go to file- new
- A new mindmap should be created for you. You can change the initial bubble by clicking on it
To add a new bubble as a subheading – click on the existing bubble you would like it to link to
Then select insert-new child node. This adds a smaller bubble which comes under the heading of the larger ‘parent’ bubble.
Other useful information (including formatting)
- You can click and drag around the mindmap to move it around the screen
- You can insert icons – for example ticks, images, crosses – go to insert-icons
- You can prioritise elements – that is attach a number to put them in order of importance – again, go to insert-icons
- You can change from a line map to a bubble map- go to edit-select all visible-format-bubble
- You can change the colour of text and background of bubble.
- To change text colour click on bubble you wish to change, then go to format-node colour
- To change background colour click on bubble you wish to change, then go to format – node background colour
- To add notes to a bubble, go to insert-note. This will open a new window at the bottom of the screen, into which the note can be written
This will then create a notes icon on the selected bubble
You can use the built in help menu. It includes documentation and frequently asked questions (FAQs)
To access this:
Select the toolbar top right